UNITED NATIONS ORGANIZATION (UNO)
United Nations UN Definition
The United Nations is an intergovernmental organization that aims to maintain international peace and security, develop friendly relations among nations, achieve international cooperation, and be a centre for harmonizing the actions of nations. Wikipedia
When United Nations (UN) was founded?
The United Nations is an international organization founded in 1945.
How many members are there in the United Nations (UN) in 2020?
There are currently in 2020 193 Member States of United Nations (UN).
Who is the current 2020 Secretary General of UNO?
Currently, António Guterres is the current 2020 Secretary-General of the United Nations.
What is the Motto of UNO?
The motto of UNO is “It’s your world!”
What is the number of the Secretary General António Guterres
He is the ninth(9th) Secretary-General,
When his term started?
The term of António Guterres started on 1st January 2017.
Secretary General UNO António Guterres belongs to which country?
Secretary General UNO António Guterres belongs to Portugal
United Nations History
The history of the United Nations Organization (UNO) started just after the end of World War One (WWI). In 1919, the League of Nations (LN) was formed however failed because of the beginning of WWII. After the end of WWII, UNO was organised on October 24, 1945. UNO was found in order to hamper the world to face another major scale war.
For more visit now ➤ SeekerGK
United Nations Founders
The 5 permanent members of the UN Security Council are China, France, Russia, the United Kingdom and the United States. These countries also hold veto power. Along with these major powers, there are 51 founding members of the United Nations Organization (UNO).
United Nations Headquarters
The Headquarter of UNO is in New York, USA with other main offices in Geneva, Nairobi, and Vienna.
United Nations Purpose
The UN Charter explains four main purposes of the United Nations Organization (UNO) which are
- Maintaining worldwide peace and security.
- Developing relations among nations.
- Fostering cooperation between nations in order to solve economic, social, cultural, or humanitarian international problems.
- Providing a forum for bringing countries together to meet the UN’s purposes and goals.
Principal Organs of The United Nations:
The United Nations have five principal organs:
1. General Assembly
2. Security Council
4. Economic and Social Council
5. International Court of Justice
6. The 6th organ, “Trusteeship Council” suspended operation on November 01, 1994, with the independence of Palau.
Functions Of United Nations
1. Maintain International Peace and Security
2. Protect Human Rights
3. Deliver Humanitarian Aid
4. Promote Sustainable Development
5. Uphold International Law
United Nations Security Council
The UN Security Council is the most powerful organ, and is responsible for the maintenance of international peace and security
UN Security Council has a total of 15 members: 5 permanent and 10 non-permanent elected members.
The 5 permanent members of the UN Security Council are China, France, Russia, the United Kingdom and the United States. These countries hold veto power.
The 10 non-permanent members of the UN Security Council are elected by the UN General Assembly for a period of 2 years.
The Security Council has primary responsibility for the maintenance of international peace and security. It has 15 Members, and each Member has one vote. Under the Charter of the United Nations, all Member States are obligated to comply with Council decisions.
The Security Council takes the lead in determining the existence of a threat to the peace or act of aggression. It calls upon the parties to a dispute to settle it by peaceful means and recommends methods of adjustment or terms of a settlement. In some cases, the Security Council can resort to imposing sanctions or even authorize the use of force to maintain or restore international peace and security.
Ten non-permanent members elected for two-year terms by the General Assembly (with the end of term year):
Currently in 2020, Currently the non-permanent members are the following:
Dominican Republic (2020)
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines (2021)
South Africa (2020)
Viet Nam (2021)
Click here for: World Organisation and its Headquarters
ALL other Info of United Nations Organization (UNO)
- UNO has also 15 agencies and several programs and bodies to carry out its mission worldwide.
- Some prominent agencies are World Bank,
International Monetary Fund (IMF),
World Health Organization(WHO),
World Food Program (WFP)
United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF),
International Organization Of Migration (IOM).
- UNO has 6 official languages: Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, and Spanish.
- Total of 193 member states of the United Nations. 51 founding members or original members.
- Two countries hold the status of the Observer States, Holy Sea (Permanent Observer state) and Palestine.
- The UN General Assembly, on the proposal of the Security Council, elects the UN Secretary General.
- It decides on the admission of new members, elects the non-permanent members of the Security Council, all members of Economic and Social Council, and the 15 judges of the International Court of Justice.
- On the other hand, it also adopts the budget of UNO.
- The UN Security Council is the most powerful organ and is responsible for the maintenance of international peace and security
- UN Security Council has a total of 15 members: 5 permanent and 10 non-permanent elected members.
- The 5 permanent members of UN Security Council are China, France, Russia, the United Kingdom and the United States. These countries hold veto power.
- The 10 non-permanent members of UN Security Council are elected by the UN General Assembly for a period of 2 years. Currently, the non-permanent members are: Angola, Chad, Chile, Jordan, Lithuania, Malaysia, New Zealand, Nigeria, Spain and Venezuela.
- UN Secretariat headed by Secretary General supports the other UN bodies administratively.
- UN Economic and Social Council is responsible for cooperation between states on economic and social fields
- The International Court of Justice has 15 judges elected for a period of 9 years. The ICJ is located in The Hague.
For more visit now ➤ SeekerGK
To Download United Nations Organization (UNO) in PDF, Click below